The Stuttgart State Theatre is an opera house in Stuttgart, Germany, also known locally as the 'Big House', and was the larger of two former royal court theatres. It was designed by the famous Munich architect Max Littmann, who won a design competition, and was built between 1909 and 1912 as the Royal Court Theatre, the royal theatre of the Kingdom of Württemberg, in two large and small buildings known as the 'Big House' and the 'Little House'.
The theatre was renamed the National Theatre in 1919. The Little House was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War and a new Little House was built and opened in 1962. The "Big House", the only major German opera house to survive the bombings of the Second World War, was completely restored from 1982 to 1984 and now seats 1,399.
The Stuttgart National Theatre is used mainly for original productions, award-winning productions, operas of international prestige and the famous Stuttgart ballet. The Stuttgart Ballet is inextricably linked to the names John Cranko and Marcia Haydée, and is also well known for its international tours.
Request a Quotation